We are faced today with the younger generation that uses gadgets are their means of entertainment and source of fun. No matter how we try to do away with it and let our children experience the childhood we had, it has become a fact that we really have to face.
With this, a lot of professionals in the field of education have come to realize that Technology could be a perfect tool for learning. Children as young as 3 or 4 years old are capable of handling these gadgets thus are expected to be knowledgeable in operating one.
However, teachers must be sure that their students would not be so soaked with stressful learning alone but must have time for fun – allowing them to explore their imaginations. Integrating Technology in the classroom would allow these young individuals to develop their technical skills. These skills are all valuable for them to survive their generation.
A specific example to this is the use of iPads. Here are a few of what can be done:
- Documentation needs for student research can be made so easy with the camera.
- On higher education and when it comes to art or architecture, 3D models can be created with a 3D creator app, linked to a 3D printer.
- Find quiz apps online such as those that allow teachers to create flash cards or other types of interesting types of quizzes.
- An iPad could be a game show, applications for this are available too.
- Get linked online and play a lot of songs in the classroom that would usher to a more fun while learning. This is essential for the younger ones, especially.
- Recording a discussion on audio or video would be a lot helpful for students who would love to review before their exams.
- Install game apps that are also tools for learning, especially for the younger ones
As the classroom would have digital learning tools, it does not only benefit the students but the teachers as well. As children would engage more in the classroom discussions, teachers will not have hard time getting their attention for each subject. While it’s normal that children do have different interests, certain applications when used can also make a not so interesting subject become interesting and even fun.
There may still be schools today that are not into the use of Technology. Thus, allow me to share a few points below about why you must make use of technology in the classroom:
- With the use of such tools and wireless technology, it would be easy for students to determine their future career as they get a fast discovery of their line of interests.
- Learning styles can be diverse. Teachers can combine both the traditional way of teaching while using new applications.
- Being tech-savvy allows students to be more aware about their environment, not only in their local area but about world events and social awareness.
- Students would love to engage in the classroom activities, naturally because they love technology.
- Using tools for the day to day discussions allows the students to be excited about what’s next and would be more apt to learn.
- Research won’t be an issue at all, as students may have full, yet disciplined access to the internet.
- Teachers and students both can have access to digital textbooks and get more updated versions online.
- Teachers and students get the chance to discover more learning apps.
There has to be no debating whether to use technology in the classroom or not. Truth of the fact is, we all need technology today and everyone must accept it.
Mary McIntyre has been writing for 7 years now and believes in the value of quality contents and informative articles. She desires to share more of her work here. Feel free to reach out and contact her!