(NewsUSA) – When gym closures due to COVID-19 locked most seniors out of their exercise classes and daily workout routines this spring, they quickly began combing the internet for new strategies to stay fit. Today, many older adults have turned to options like the Silver&Fitprogram, which offers four free public workout classes daily on Facebook Live and YouTube.
The timing for the launch of the free senior exercise classes could not have been better, according to comments from participants:
“Thank you for keeping us safe, healthy and sane during these tough times,” says Ethel G.
“These classes have been life-saving,” Lee Ann D. commented.
“These classes are perfect!” says Teri S. “Every level is available.”
“Since the launch of our daily free public classes, we’ve received nearly 30,000 comments on how helpful the classes have been during the pandemic,” says Jaynie Bjornaraa, PhD., MPH, PT, and AVP of Digital Fitness Solutions with the Silver&Fit program.
“Older adults know that their quality of life is tied to their fitness level. Those who stop exercising can become deconditioned in as little as two weeks. Silver&Fit’s free, public Facebook Live and YouTube workouts help them keep moving. “
The Silver&Fit free, public workouts provide 20 free classes a week for anyone looking to stay fit at home during the pandemic. The half-hour sessions, which are tailored to adults 55 and older, include beginner, intermediate and advanced Cardio, Yoga, Strength & Bodyweight, Flexibility & Balance, and Mixed Format classes. The classes premiere Monday – Friday starting at 9 a.m. PT and continue at 10 a.m., 11 a.m., and noon PT. And for those who need more flexibility in their schedules, the workout videos are available for two weeks after they premiere.
Anyone can participate in the free public workouts just by following Silver&Fit on Facebook at www.facebook.com/SilverandFit or on their YouTube channel at www.youtube.com/silverandfit. All classes are taught by certified instructors with extensive experience leading workouts for older adults.
“Silver&Fit has seen its class followers grow by nearly 350 percent in seven months, with more than 1.1 million views of our senior workout videos,” says Dr. Bjornaraa.
The Silver&Fit Healthy Aging and Fitness Program: Now Available to Older Adults Through Medicare Advantage and Medicare Supplement Plans During Open Enrollment
In addition to the free, public daily workouts on Facebook Live and YouTube, Silver&Fit also offers a full, comprehensive Healthy Aging and Fitness program through many Medicare Plans. Current members who are eligible for the full Silver&Fit program through their Medicare plans, or those enrolling in a participating Medicare Plan during the Medicare Open Enrollment Period from October 15 – December 7, can also take advantage of Silver&Fit’s newly expanded online, home-based and gym-based options designed to accommodate all levels of fitness and workout preferences. Features include:
* 1,700+ Digital Fitness Videos. The Silver&Fit online video library offers a broad collection of workout options, allowing members to customize their own at-home exercise routines, such as cardio, strength, yoga, dance, Tai Chi, and many others.
* At-Home Fitness Kits. For those who want to create their own workouts at home, the Silver&Fit program offers home fitness kits that may include an exercise DVD, a yoga mat, resistance band, dumbbells, or wearable fitness trackers.
* Live Telephone Coaching. Members seeking help with fitness goals or lifestyle improvements can work with a live coach over the phone to obtain advice on fitness, nutrition, sleep, and other healthy living habits.
* Access to Social and Community Connections. Members of the Silver&Fit program can browse links to more than 120,000 social organizations ranging from painting and classic car clubs, to nature organizations. This resource encourages members to connect to others via live video or socially distanced meetings.
* In-Person Gym Access. As gyms are permitted to open, members who feel comfortable returning can use their subsidized gym benefit to get back on their fitness track. With the Silver&Fit program, seniors can choose from a nation-wide network of more than 15,000 fitness centers, YMCAs, and fitness studios.
For information about whether your Medicare plan includes the Silver&Fit program, contact your health plan or 1-800-MEDICARE.
Visit www.SilverandFit.com for more information about the program.